About Us



The Custer Battlefield National Cemetery became part of the Department of the Interior in June 1940 and was designated part of the National Park Service in July of that same year. The first Park Service personnel, Superintendent Edward S. Luce, did not arrive until January 1941 – Luce would provide leadership of the “Custer Battlefield” for the next 16 years. Custer National Cemetery became the Custer Battlefield National Monument (CBNM) in March 1946 and was under the administrative supervision of Yellowstone National Park until 1953.

The Yellowstone Library and Museum Association (YLMA) was established in 1933 and, beginning in 1943, a sales outlet was opened at the Custer Battlefield – postcards and a battlefield pamphlet were the only sales items. Construction of the museum administration building began in March 1952 and was completed in time for a rainsoaked dedication on June 25. With the completion of building a more active and expanded sales program was initiated and it was proposed at the annual YLMA meeting in October that the sales outlet at the Custer Battlefield become a separate organization.

A memorandum from the Park Service’s Regional Director, dated December 5,1952, approved the “establishment of an Association for the furtherance of the interests in historical research and related subjects to Custer Battlefield National Monument.” On January 11, 1953, several prominent citizens of Montana and government personnel met and organized the Custer Battlefield Historical and Museum Association (CBHMA). A constitution and by-laws were formally adopted at the meeting and were approved by the Regional Director of the National Park Service on January 27, 1953. The first Board of Directors and officers of the Association were elected:

  • Mr. George G. Osten, Treasurer
  • Major Edward S. Luce, Executive Secretary
  • Mr. Joe Medicine Crow
  • Mr. Fred C. Krieg
  • Mrs. Evelyn S. Luce
  • Mr. Walter C. Nye

View or download complete file: CBHMA History (pdf file)

Board of Directors

View the Call for Candidates to the Board of Directors (pdf file)

Ted Heath, President
478 Sailfish Drive
Hiawatha, IA  52233-1036
Term ends June 2020

Don Fisk, Vice President
14 Old Squaw Road
Sheridan, WY  82801
Term ends June 2021

Dale Ramsey, Secretary
25311 South 88th Avenue
Frankfort, IL  60423-8452
Term ends June 2020

Sue Heath, Treasurer
478 Sailfish Drive
Hiawatha, IA  52233-1036
Non-voting board member

Jon Custer
8025 Course View Court
Noblesville, IN 46060
Term ends June 2022

Michael Hansen
3830 South S 13th Street
Sheboygan, WI  53081-7284
Terms ends June 2022

Dale Wagner
1926 South Brandon
Springfield, WI  65809
Term ends June 2022

William Walker
735 E Summit
Bolivar, MO  65613
Term ends June 2021


View the President’s Message by Ted Heath – Spring 2022


View the most recent Financial Report